What is 3D Sculptor?
3D Sculptor is a browser-based 3D subdivision modeling solution that enables industrial designers, engineers and artists to create stylized ergonomically or organically shaped models faster and more easily than traditional parametric tools. Built on the cloud-based Dassault Systèmes 3DEXPERIENCE® platform, 3D Sculptor complements the parametric workflows of SOLIDWORKS 3D CAD with intuitive subdivision modeling and a seamless interchange of design data.
Shape. Collaborate. Innovate.
Create organic shapes and complex surfaces easily with a cloud-based subdivision (Sub-D) modeling solution that runs on the 3DEXPERIENCE® platform and works seamlessly with SOLIDWORKS®. Easily and quickly create, review, and evaluate organic and ergonomic shapes with 3D Sculptor (which includes the xShape app). Collaborate without friction and use solutions that work together seamlessly on the platform to design, simulate and manufacture your products and manage your product data and lifecycle.
Sub-D versus Parametric Modeling
Designers typically want to make several models quickly in the concept phase of design to get a clearer idea of what a manager or customer wants. Sub-D modeling in 3D Sculptor starts with a globe, cylinder, torus, or another primitive shape that is pushed and pulled into the desired form. Images and sketches can also function as templates to create 3D surface geometry. This is much faster than 3D parametric modeling, which requires construction geometry such as curves and 2D sketches to be created to control the shape of the geometry.
3D Sculptor (xShape) Capabilities
- Push-pull interaction- Create complex surfaces quickly using intuitive push-pull interaction
- Surfaces to NURBS Conversion- Automatically convert subdivision surfaces to NURBS (Non-uniform rotational b-spline) geometry when finished.
- Sketch Guides- Use images and sketches as a guide to create 3D surface geometry.
- Modeling Environments- Seamlessly switch between conceptual modeling and detailed modeling environments and eliminate the need for rework.
- Integrate with SOLIDWORKS- Bring your 3D Sculptor design into SOLIDWORKS with direct import and export.
Streamline Your Design Workflow
- Enable industrial designers and mechanical engineers to collaborate on the same model more closely than ever.
- Iterate on designs faster by eliminating the need for data conversion between industrial design and mechanical design tools.
- Reduce your reliance on standalone tools with the 3DEXPERIENCE platform, which offers a suite of solutions working together seamlessly in the cloud.
Accelerate Innovation with a Cloud-Based Platform
- With its growing solution portfolio, the 3DEXPERIENCE platform enables you to manage all facets of your product development process.
- View, annotate, manage and share designs from anywhere, at any time and on any device.
- Reduce infrastructure costs, IT overhead, software maintenance, and complexity by using secure cloud technology.